Comparing Traditional Braces to Invisalign
Crooked teeth can really disrupt your entire smile, but fortunately, two effective treatments are available for straightening them out and restoring your confident smile. The treatments are Invisalign and metal braces and each has noteworthy advantages for certain patients. Explore some of the traits of both treatments to see which is right for you.
Overview of Metal Braces and Invisalign
These summaries of both treatments will give you an informed idea of what to expect.
Traditional Metal Braces
- Use metal wires, rubber bands, and brackets to effectively straighten your teeth.
- Diet is limited because certain foods can damage your braces.
- Metal brackets can potentially scrape and irritate the inner mouth.
- Maintenance can be challenging due to the many detailed areas to clean.
- Metal brackets and colored bands are visible on the teeth.
- Uses gradually smaller aligners to straighten the teeth.
- Aligners are smooth plastic and won’t irritate the inner tissue of the mouth.
- Cleaning is easy because you can simply remove your aligners.
- No dietary limitations are required for wearing Invisalign.
- Aligners are clear making it a very discreet way to straighten your teeth.
Advantages of Invisalign Over Metal Braces
Designed as an improvement to metal braces, Invisalign offers many advantages for patients who may not like certain aspects of the traditional braces treatment.
Unlike braces which clearly show metal components on the teeth, Invisalign is completely transparent and almost invisible when you smile. This lets you straighten your teeth discreetly.
Metal braces were never known for their comfort, but Invisalign aligners are made from soft plastic that doesn’t irritate the inner tissue of the mouth.
The fact that Invisalign aligners can be removed is a major advantage that ensures that no foods or activities are off-limits for patients.
Which Teeth-Straightening Treatment is Right for You?
If you’ve always wanted a straighter smile, both metal braces and Invisalign can provide the results you’re looking for. Our talented dental team can answer any questions you may have to ensure you get the treatment that works best for you. Why wait? Contact Dr. Powers in San Mateo, CA to schedule a consultation and start on the path to the smile you deserve.